Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Guest Post: A Journey to Publication by Iryna K. Combs, Author of Black Wings



Some are born writers, others write most of their life taking after their parents, grandparents or uncles. And some just wake up one day and realize – “an author lives inside me!”

That’s what happened to me, Iryna K Combs - a Ukrainian-born girl, who never spoke any English. In fact, I failed English in school multiple times. Writing was not my strong side either. But life is always talking us to places we never thought to see.

The story behind my first rough scratch was unique. A simple dream that was stuck in my head for months before I was brave enough to pour it on to the paper. I hesitated for a while. My main reasons for the hesitation were typical: a fear that I would not be able to accomplish my goal. That people would not like it. Or sometimes I would simply find other reasons not to write.

Fooling myself, the story was like an active volcano inside me: heating, boiling and ready to erupt. And so it did. As I began writing, I wondered: why in the world I did not start it sooner? I loved writing! I experienced many magical writing moments. The emotional bleeding out on the paper brought a ton of pleasure and satisfaction.

Two months later I had my first unpolished manuscript. Letting my husband read it for the first time and realizing I did something really good. To be completely honest – writing part was easy. Now the time came to find a home for my literal baby.

I have to admit: looking for a publisher is the hardest part. Swimming through a sea of publishers, what they are looking for and if it is something where I want my book to belong. 
Most tiring and laborious process! But the worst part is still ahead. This part includes rejection letters flying out of their e-mail and land into your inbox. Many. Not even funny many. So what is it worth writing for? Working so hard on your story, creating perfect plot, interesting characters and nobody wants it. Well, do not think that! There are those who will welcome you in their family and THOSE are worth waiting for! As hard as this part may seem, there is a good source of light for you. It’s experience, new information, things that you discover for yourself. I learned so much in this last year of being an author, from the very beginning to the time for my book’s release. And this is one of the best things. Learning, perfecting, developing and thriving!

Help promote about your book. Do not leave it be hanging there. Your promotion is most valuable and it’s the biggest drive for your book. Make new connection and never take too close criticism. Negativity is like air – it will always be there, so do not try to fight it. Learn from it.

If you have at least a slight thought that you might have something to write. Stop wishing it. Write now! Hot chocolate, tea, glass of wine by your side will make you cozy and let your mind ease off. Letting you melt away in the magical world of writing! Explore it to enjoy it!


Iryna K Combs, author of Black Wings


A new time. A new planet. A new world. New technologies. Two new humanoid species. A new war.

The two species separate, but in the removal, some of the best are left behind among the worst. Captured and held as slaves, they are treated cruelly for entertainment. Torture. Pain.

Annabel, endures a year of such cruelty, kept alive only by way of syringes which, while healing, cause a greater agony. She discovers a secret held by their leader, and decides to help her own kind by escaping–even if it means a final death, preferable to the life she has endured.

Her escape succeeds, and she joins her own kind at the other end of the planet. Among her new friends she meets many who help her adjust to their happier life. Will Annabel find romance? Or will another war break her down?