Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Guest Post: How do you write a book? #WritersLife



I’ve often been asked, “How do you write a book?” My stock answer is, “you sit down and write it one word at a time.”

But is it that easy?

It isn’t, at least not for me. Take the idea for Skydreamer. I came up with the concept; woman marries Dragon-changer over twenty years ago. The idea took a while to germinate. It grew, shrank, grew again. I wrote one solid first draft then had to deep six it.

The first draft of Skydreamer was well over a hundred thousand words long. 

When I approached the re-write, I knew I had to be more organized. I sat down and created a list of things that had to be present in the new interpretation. Keep it simple, keep it moving, and the most important concept of the entire book, keep Jaden and Draven in love. Don’t break them up unless you have to. I’d read too many books where authors forgot why the reader was reading because the characters have fallen in love."

I’d like to say I sold it immediately, but I didn’t. I had to find beta readers and editors. I had to locate people willing to read it.

So why are we torture ourselves going over every word? Every sentence? Why do we continue putting one foot in front of the other in our attempts to put our work out there?


The answer is simple. There are stories inside us that beg to be told and if we writers don’t tell them, then who will?  

~~~oOo~~~

About the Author: I never set out to be an author. Only a story teller. Some days I succeed better than others.