Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Guest Post: My Writer's Life by G.P. Gadbois, Author of Caught Between Worlds

My Writers Life

by G.P. Gadbois

                My career choices ranged from a stay at home mom with a houseful of children, a nun, the first women Prime Minister, an air stewardess, a writer, a secretary or any career that would make me happy and pay the bills. I have been blessed with three children, I pray, I vote, I travel, I have a published novel, and I worked as a school secretary – home in the summer and in a building surrounded by children. I must admit - perspective is a key element.

                I always enjoyed reading, and as a teenager romance became my favorite genre. I visited Paris, Italy, London and a bunch of other countries through the eyes of women who found love. Becoming an air stewardess would have been the perfect position to find my own Prince Charming. Not as easy as it sounds, but I didn’t give up. In my late twenties, I replaced romance novels with children’s books while raising my munchkins. I still love a good romance, but I also enjoy mysteries and biographies.

                At this time in my life since writing is a hobby, I do most of it on weekends and a bit at night if I’m not tired. On a summer Saturday morning, with a large mug of coffee in hand, I catch-up with the outside world, read emails, chat with friends, and write. When weather permits I sit outside on my swing, soak in the sun, sip my coffee, mull ideas, admire my flower gardens, mull a bit more, and jot ideas on paper, shaping small portions of scenes. I come inside for a coffee refill, typewritten text on computer and continue same until coffee pot is empty and/or rough draft is completed. I read the scene out loud, and consult people I know for feedback.

                Before writing the first scene of Caught Between Worlds I created a document describing each of the characters. Their physical appearance, hobbies, qualities, family members and role they play in the story. As the story progressed I added traits and any pertinent detail. The quick reference tool helped me with character development and it will help me as the main characters will be found in all four novels I intend to write.


                The not so fun part - the editing of a scene could last all day. I’ll review specific lines in my mind as I’m preparing lunch, washing dishes, and doing laundry. I’ll update scene, re-read, and change until I’m satisfied. I obsess over love scenes. I don’t want erotica, but I don’t want the reader to be bored either. Another challenge is showing or displaying emotions that I’ve never experience - so I re-write until I cry or laugh as I want the readers to react the same way. Life is full of ups and downs, so a novel should reflect a wide variety of feelings. I still have a lot to learn, but I strongly believe I’m on the right track.

~~~oOo~~~

About the Author: 

G.P. is Canadian. A wife and mother of three who works in school bus transportation. In her last year of high school, she enjoyed writing a weekly column published in the French newspaper in her home town. Writing took a back seat for years and now that her children are grown, it’s become her favorite hobby.

Entertaining others is like breathing – it is part of who she is.

LINKS:


1 comment:

  1. "Life is full of ups and downs, so a novel should reflect a wide variety of feelings."
    Oh so true. And it's been said if there are no tears in the author there won't be any in the reader. This makes me feel better when I sob through writing emotional scenes.
    Keep writing. I feel blessed to be able to write as my primary job (although the paycheck from my substitute teaching is still MUCH larger.)

    ReplyDelete